Man, Woman or Other or Any one…
Rights be & of Human.
Not Gender/Religion/Community/ShowOff/Privilege/Hijacking. Just plain Human/e & Equal.
Being a Monday this time:
No Monday blues on RIGHTS.
~ © IQuote PP PSquare
Prabeen Kumar Pati
‘The movement called “India Against Corruption” and Anna Hazare, and My Honest Truth’…
“Hazaron khwahishen aisi
ke dil machle
Hazaron laakhon Awaaz aisi
kii chaaron dishaon mein guunj uthe
‘Main hoon Anna Hazare’.”
Personally, I don’t look up to or follow the personas, I take stock of the process, judge the very thought process, the intent, thoughts, values, principles, yardstick, what is right and good towards the truth; and then take up or apply them (if I am convinced or think those as good ones) towards the truth as per my own intuition, gut feeling or so; learn from their mistakes so that I don’t commit those, but all this comes through experimentation; as I can’t trust a person cent per cent as I don’t know about the particular person in person or enough! How can one (entirely) know the other’s real character, which is again relative though!? That would be only perception and some trust or faith!
Recently, when I was travelling, not surprisingly the Fight Against Corruption topic came out and the phenomenon called Anna Hazare.
Is it all political? I said a big NO. If it was political, then definitely violence would have taken place, one would see or hear about broken car glasses, burning of vehicles, tyres, attack on the buildings, some stirred stampede, some killings or attempts kind of etc etc.
The gathering and human chains never led to any violence. Even the political parties specially the Congress nor the BJP couldn’t dare to instigate any violence such was the presence of the very active people who had been gathering in the Rise whole heartedly spontaneously. Yes, not all the people involved may not be quite in it, but that’s a small percentage of it all! Do all the people or students taking part in some union strikes, agitations etc know what they are there really for? Few come for bit adventure, fun, excuse, visibility, media hype etc! Some come for their own specific problem or perception! Some come for publicity! But those ones and opportunists or so constitute not a significant portion! The call was a noble cause, irrespective of any alignment towards religion, region, caste, class; and so people across all ages and mainly the modern youth supported it and joined in, poured in unlike the political rallies where people are picked and packed up in loads of trucks in the name of some lure or offerings or just blindly!
After the Baba Ramdev (well, in a discussion more than a year ago, I had expressed that he would come with some political activity or the other, and was not expecting he would pull it off!) flip-flop show with the Govt’s tactics, it was important that this movement for the very prevailing national cause was in the direction positively.
This movement has reiterated non-violence in our blood and DNA, re-enforced the open unity and solidarity, and the very trend and culture in this part of the world!
And the front line group has done the right and smart things by reaching the people not just through the regular routes and media, but now very important social media and the power of not just pen, but also the web!
The people in the Govt and various authorities must know that their false mask of the typical Bhadro Lok won’t work against the people’s voice whatever political tactics and treachery they adopt. They can’t simply sit in the backseat and dictate terms even though they enjoy the fact that there is no alternative political party to be in the power at least currently! Their ego may not stand with themselves!
There have been a few detractors of Anna Hazare definitely and obviously!
Some who claim that they have closely worked with Anna and that Anna is a drama, doesn’t know what’s corruption, and has been used or misrepresenting himself; where is their common sense? What are they saying for? Why shouldn’t we think that as a publicity stunt itself!? And why they don’t come and do the serving to the cause their way if they are so honest? Whatever jealously or ego or whatsoever they may have, they can’t deny the truth that even in the past movements, the leaders started off but might not know what would be the exact steps, what should be the scope etc, until they marched on the path and explored, discovered and established! That’s what is a process of any movement, you can’t just plan out every thing out and out! Thats the very life! You may have milestones, goals, vision, and certain process, but it all matures along the way only! Also it’s a fact and truth that even those sitting in the so called authority, as they know themselves, they didn’t know politics when they started! And to top it all, a CM’s call to Anna Hazare to win elections on his own was just ridiculous and reflected the very sorry ignorance, sense and ego of the present politicians! I am sure that the PM would have learnt that fighting it all out against a left party for a nuclear bill with an outside country was much easier than fighting it out in our own system! Unfortunately, sir, you can’t be a silent spectator or proxy in this just cause when it actually demands your true identity and character, even it is the best situation to silence your critics if you take so! Where are the much hyped and expected and promised reforms?! And I understand your vote and call may not be all in this whole set up, as also vindicated in the recent rejection of the sports bill! Everybody has his/her opinion and when to express and for what, is the more important part, even though one may be tempted to say whatever in the name of freedom of speech!
Coming back to the motive:
Even in the worst case, just for the sake of it, if one assumes that it’s ( the movement and Anna-Team Anna) a drama, sponsored by some other entity and the front-line people involved are the same hungry for power or visibility as any body else; still, nobody can deny it that even that worst case is more acceptable than the present as-is reality we have. And they have a tentative road map and a draft bill in hand! Above all, the public has come into direct and informed participation than a passive one! Nothing has been unconstitutional here, dear all! The parliament with its power can bring in amendments, bills and other set ups to suit them more, not the people; but if they think so, they can go for the simple iPadder things and all; then this very anti-corruption step bill for the people and against the corrupt is bigger than those things by quite some levels! The constitution is not complete, it’s a base, and needs amendments from time to time towards perfection, and democracy is there for it, and it’s for the very democracy! The media covered it all for their own reasons, but as I repeat, this is the cause that makes sense, it doesn’t really matter, if some entities look to their bread and butter and profit, so much when lots of more important matters are at stake!
And to put the facts, in this country, a dasyu (dacoit) has become the greatest Balmiki Rishi; a Chanddaashoka has moulded into the Dharmaashoka; a Mohan Das Karam Chand Gandhii has transformed into the greatest Mahatmaa Gandhii and many more! So keep trusting this great country, and miracles and great things will happen with the time!
The nature and time are here to balance it all, and some entities and personalities will keep coming up to enforce and reiterate the truth, and to keep up the faith in the world of the alive in some form or the other!
And yes, I have been supporting this movement as any Indian would and should do! Even for a particular week, as the movement appealed, at least to support it, not to do the regular work, take leaves etc; I have done it, as the time did it all, I was on official leave and was not doing any regular professional work even remotely through any computer or network in that period! And I have been contributing in my life through out as it has come! I have been and am very positive through out as ever!
And to add on, Corruption is devoid of any country, race, religion, skin, language, caste, region, locality, entity, class, level and on and on! The extent of the encroachment of this very disease or epidemic, to say so, can be controlled through thoughts, processes and stringent steps if only we follow in our daily lives! If we are strong ourselves, nothing outside can block or divert us!
For more on Corruption: http://wp.me/p1IREI-22
~ Prabeen Kumar Pati
What should be the start?!
Well, for me, to start with, ‘corruption’ is a word and something created, used and meant relatively!
Strictly as per the dictionary, “Corruption is:
a) dishonest or illegal behaviour, especially of people in authority;
b) the act or effect of making somebody change from moral to immoral standards of behaviour;
c) the form of a word or phrase that has become changed from it’s original form in some way”.
And yes,the prevalent terminology of corruption refers to the definitions as in the points a) and b). And again, some more simple yet complicated terms are used and referred to define it!
The words being used to define the term are again simple to pronounce, not so difficult to explain, but the most difficult to put in practice.
Yes, daily, we are involved in doing certain things some or the other way, which one is tempted to say as committing corruption. For some, it’s kind of a kick-back not to raise the voice and do the right against corruption or restricting to only certain issues. But to that my response is:
Does it mean we are killers or murderers if we walk or do certain things that result in the death of some flies, insects or so?! Not certainly! Even we have to kill mosquitoes, bugs, cockroaches deliberately and honestly to protect ourselves and/or keeping our environment and people healthy and safe. And that’s not a crime in a world of the alive! If still per the religion and in the purest of forms, we should avoid any life-or-anyCreatureHoweverSmallOr Visible-killing act knowingly and unknowingly, then let’s do those right actions and acts so as to stay away from those creatures through cleanliness, and hygiene practices and measures.
So is corruption, or be it mind or money or whatever other terms it’s attached to or can be attached to.
Corruption results or originates from our own thoughts, greed, insecurity, over-indulgence, non-orientation towards values, principles; and the very environment we live or make ourselves live.
Corruption is not there in the system just like that. The people who are involved in corruption are not out of the world or creation. They are very much part of this system as us. Encouraging corruption, or doing nothing against it, is itself corruption as we allow ourselves being in the shell and indirectly and subconsciously supporting corruption. So even by the languages’ dictionary definitions ( b) ), it’s also corruption. The same in every language irrespective of the word coined for it.
Some instances and life examples…
1. During my higher studies, I faced a particular situation. One institution-cum-hostel-peer cheated me after taking money from me in the form of a membership fee towards the institution. I was not returned my money as simple as that even after follow ups! It was not a matter of just some money – the hard earned money of my mother. The guy wanted to cheat if not me, somebody else just as to prove himself ready for his own-version politics so as for the high post in the student union. That was corruption for me. So I stood against the corruption. I knew some people were in his support politically. The thing spiralled into a dispute and even I was attacked suddenly just as I was coming out after having my meal. The attack resulted in an injury to me obviously and the most affected part had to be stitched. But all my inmates, friends, hostel dwellers knew the truth and cooperated with me in the rise and fight against this corrupt act positively. (Few people also joined for their own political reasons.) The rise was not against the money but even for a bigger cause, against the corrupt thoughts and to make those responsible realise of their act of deed, so that nobody else including them do the corrupt deeds again ever to any body else. The rise was very positive as it reinstated our togetherness ultimately as I am sure at least one of those in the supporting of the corrupt act realised sensitively. The guy responsible in the root cause though said sorry for all, but I am not sure how honestly it has been followed in the life. The rest is history and I need not go into all those details at this point of time. Nor am I keen here to go into the details of all those others involved. Wishes for the Rightly Happy Life for all as ever!
2. During my school studies, I won scholarship. But when I had gone to collect the payment from the respective regional govt office headquarters, the assigned clerk accountant kept some money out of my scholarship for himself and told me not to tell it to any body even my mother. I didn’t complain to any body as I thought the person was in some need and what a big matter if I shared some of the money with him for his cause. But very late I realised the man was not honest. So after being a victim of this corruption the next time when I won scholarship subsequently, I ensured the corruption was not committed again.
3. Work: Some years back, I was in a discussion with some people in a train trip on why I was not changing my work company so that I could get better package. I told it was my passion for the organisation, money is not everything, and the moment I realise if there was any bad practice, or injustice, money corruption, or any corruption, or non-transaparency, bad politics, or unethical things or even a slight hint of any of it, I would resign and leave the organisation as soon as possible if my attempts to rectify and improve the process didn’t come off positively. Very soon after that meet, exactly such situation happened. I didn’t get my salary and insurance for some gap in the process work flow not my fault. My follow ups and all the pain, honest attempts though resulted in some corrective action from the higher authorities but very late and not enough. And some situations (even though not my fault) exactly reflecting some kind of corruption also surfaced as a combo multiplying my genuine grievances. I had even had to write email; to that I was told by one in the management that even the supreme boss (withholding the name here) would not have written a long mail in his defining days. To that I thought, there was no email system in practice during those times, so the letter did it all. I was also told that I would realise it after 3 years that ‘I should not have written any email ever’. (Any way I had not fired the email to the super boss nor did I feel I should do. ) And I knew I was right and the respective person would get the answer even quite before 3 years. And so I resigned and left the company at the earliest. And not long back in the wake of the infamous 2G scam, came another public letter – a long letter / email in the media from that super boss. So I know the person would have got the answer which probably was known even when I was told!
And the person had also told me that the person was not in any knowledge of my identity, otherwise the person would not have let any thing happen such that the sorrow and regretful situation was avoided at the outset itself and I would not have been ever the victim or at the helm of all the happenings. In fact, even my career would have been even prolonged and brighter and in the higher ranks further. And exactly that’s what I had not wanted to let my identity revealed in the beginning of the tenure itself for; my goal was to prove the perception wrong among the people in that area that persons with similar identity as mine in the past were helped partially in the career and all. What if it resulted in somewhat avoidable situation to myself, a situation and grievances avoidable had I revealed my identity at the outset!
4. Crime for Corruption? I was in a particular city and some people came to know I was a US return.
And they demanded a good amount of money and more from me just like that as to their perception, I was hugely rich in terms of money at least. I didn’t know it would result in an attack and attempt to murder or so. And one night, I was attacked suddenly without any slightest of hint. I was attacked with the weapons that it’s just a miracle and for God that I have been alive after that, as logically may be I would have been spot dead then and there itself instead of just injury. The act of theirs ( those though partly drunk or fully) was a crime and also a corruption and even heinous overall, and I took them to police and booked. It was even more disturbing after knowing those people’s true identities during the police investigation. Any way after few days and nights, I finally agreed to the thing after police also suggested that let them be released and sent back home as they had families and little children.
5. It’s kind of a common fact that how some, though not all, in the traffic police or other public service servants/employees/authorities/entities resort to the common practice of trapping and demanding bribe from their own country-men for whatever reason unless genuine. Needless to say, how big and common this corruption is! Yes, I have also been in that situation. I had to pay to the so called on-duty traffic police men on some occasions despite honest pleading, persuasion, request and some camera clicks. The success ratio was not bad though, but I have had to resort to my existing art of acting for the right cause successfully as why should I pay money or so as I have not been at fault all.
6. The pension corruption, which is again very common. Even till today, we have not got our father’s state Govt pension for his earlier services as an officer in the labour department, even after decades of his demise in a train accident. The central govt pension for his corresponding services was though available from time to time after certain follow ups.
This particular situation and the practical knowledge had been an important factor for me to decide my career not as an IAS officer or so even though that career was my father’s dream for me.
With respect to Democracy:
Democracy in the simplest form of definition (and I don’t need a dictionary quote): “Democracy is of the people, by the people and for the people”.
So what’s the issue? Not just democracy,the very humanity,the very life entitle us as our birth-right to do the right things.
With respect to religion and duty:
it has been the world of good vs evil! Or God’s vs Evil/Devil. Dharma-Adharma! The dharma or the duty for the religion has been that we should as true followers of God-Good-Truth, should and must fight against the evil/devil/Shaitaan. And the truth/good prevails in the war, if it’s.
Corruption is a devil, evil, shaitaan within us and in our surroundings that we must fight and continue to fight to make our lives purer and truer…
We should remain focussed, in fact, attached to the good, the values, the practice yet detached specially from our favourable targets, expectations, end results.
~ Prabeen Kumar Pati